24 February 2011

My Thoughts on the Empire Awards 2011

First thing's first, thank the good lord that there is an awards ceremony that honors the geeky side of film. I will give my thoughts on each category in order to present my full thoughts on each category with the small number enabling me to do this. Here we go:

Best Newcomer:
Nominees:

  • Gareth Edwards - Monsters
  • Chloe Grace Moretz - Kick-Ass/Let Me In
  • Jaden Smith - The Karate Kid
  • Jennifer Lawrence - Winter's Bone
  • Mia Wasikowska - Alice in Wonderland
First of all it's nice to see a Best Newcomer award in which Hailee Steinfeld won't be able to win for True Grit, she'll be winning next year instead. This is also the category which is easiest to call, Chloe Grace Moretz will be winning, no doubt about it. No matter how good the other performances/directions were, in 2010, film geeks will always turn to Hit Girl and, if you've read my previous blog entries, you will know that Moretz will be my only choice for this award. I think though that the geeks should have nominated Ellen Wong for Scott Pilgrim instead of Jaden Smith.

Best Thriller:
Nominees:
  • The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
  • Black Swan
  • Shutter Island
  • The Town
  • 127 Hours
This is a really good category, the films chosen all have great reviews and I honestly have no idea which film is going to win. For me, I would say that The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo is going to win. I would really like to see Shutter Island and The Town win. This is a great category, I wouldn't remove any films and I wouldn't add any more, the best films are nominated. Good call.

Best Horror:
  • Let Me In
  • A Nightmare on Elm Street
  • The Crazies
  • The Last Exorcism
  • Prasnormal Inactivity 2
This is the only category which I don't really like, two of the films nominated were awful, one was bland and two were just good films. So that being said, I think that it'll come down to between Let Me In and The Last Exorcism, the only two good films in the list. I can't really blame the voters for this as there weren't really any good horror films in 2010, that said I would class Black Swan as a horror film due to all the hallucinations and I would put that film in here instead of A Nightmare on Elm Street or Parasnormal Inactivity 2.

Best Comedy:
Nominees:
  • Four Lions
  • Toy Story 3
  • Easy A
  • Get Him To The Greek
  • The Other Guys
This is another really good category. There are some great films in here and I wouldn't change the list in any way. For me, it comes down to between Four Lions and Toy Story 3. Both films are excellent and really funny and I would be happy to see either of those films win an award. Another good job.

Best Sci-Fi/Fantasy:
Nominees:
  • Inception
  • Scott Pilgrim vs the World
  • Kick-Ass
  • Alice in Wonderland
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
This is a great list and one of the hardest in the whole awards. Aside from Alice in Wonderland, I would be happy to see any of these films win. I think that Inception has the best chance here due to it showing the world that sci-fi doesn't need to be stupid and can be really intelligent and successful. Once again, good job.

Best Actor:
Nominees
  • Colin Firth - The King's Speech
  • James Franco - 127 Hours
  • Aaron Johnson - Kick-Ass
  • Jesse Eisenberg - The Social Network
  • Leonardo DiCaprio - Inception
This is a great list as well. Most likely, Colin Firth will win for The King's Speech but I think that James Franco should win. Franco had a much more challenging role as Aron Ralston. I think that Ryan Reynolds should have been nominated for Buried but this is a great list. Besides, it is finally nice to see an awards show which nominates Leonardo DiCaprio and Aaron Johnson for Best Actor, makes a nice welcome change.

Best Actress:
  • Natalie Portman - Black Swan
  • Emma Watson - HP7A
  • Helena Bonham Carter - The King's Speech
  • Olivia Williams - The Ghost
  • Noomi Rapace - The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
Natalie Portman's winning, she gave a great performance in Black Swan and deserves this award. One thing I find strange though is that Aaron Johnson has been nominated for Best Actor for Kick-Ass, yet Chloe Grace Moretz has not been nominated for Best Actress, the other performances in this list must be incredible then for all of the geek love.

Best Director:
  • Christopher Nolan - Inception
  • Edgar Wright - Scott Pilgrim
  • Matthew Vaughn - Kick-Ass
  • Tom Hooper - The King's Speech
  • David Fincher - The Social Network
Finally, respect for Matthew Vaughn and Edgar Wright. These two directed their films incredibly and it is great to finally see them get nominated. If it came to a choice between those two I would choose Edgar Wright, there was so much direction in Scott Pilgrim than in Kick-Ass, especially in the fight scenes, if that makes any sense. Still, out of all the nominees, I would want Christopher Nolan to win for Inception, the direction in Inception was incredible and he really does deserve this award. Another great list of nominees
Best British Film:
Nominees:
  • Kick-Ass
  • Four Lions
  • The King's Speech
  • 127 Hours
  • Monsters
This is a really good list of nominees as well. I think that Kick-Ass will probably win this award considering the geeky level of those who vote. Personally I do want Kick-Ass to win the award, it was a great film and deserves all awards coming its way. I would also like to see Four Lions win as well, to show the world just how good black comedy can be when used correctly. I would like to see The King's Speech win as well even though it is getting slightly overrated, even tough it is an incredible film.

Best Film:
Nominees:
  • Inception
  • Kick-Ass
  • Scott Pilgrim
  • The King's Speech
  • The Social Network
This is the best combination of films nominated for a Best Film award I have seen all year. These are all incredible films. It is really nice to see Scott Pilgrim and Kick-Ass nominated for a Best Film award, they really deserve it. The Social Network and The King's Speech are good inclusions, but my vote and guess to win goes to Inception. Inception really is the best film anyone could have seen in 2010, brilliant acting, writing and directing all around, no film deserves Best Film more.

Those are my thoughts on the Empire awards, see you soon for more of my film thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment