29 October 2014

Avengers: Age of Ultron Trailer and Marvel Event Thoughts

It's been a while since I've done a trailer reaction since I wanted to wait for a trailer that completely blew me away. With the release of the Avengers: Age of Ultron trailer (a few days earlier than intended due to it being leaked, it was meant to be released next Tuesday during Agents of SHIELD), I have found that trailer. This is one of the best trailers that has been released recently and my excitement for this film is now even higher than it already was.
There is so much stuff in this trailer that made me excited and I'm really intrigued by how it all fits together. What leads to Tony Stark having to use the Hulkbuster armour (by the way, it's brilliant to see the Hulkbuster armour on screen), what led to Captain America's shield being destroyed and what could have destroyed it, how do Quicksilver and Scarlett Witch play into the film, who does Andy Serkis play and why did Thor grab Stark by the throat. It looks to be incredibly well directed and the clip released yesterday shows that the witty dialogue is still there but there is one factor above all others that has made me excited for this film: James Spader. After seeing him in The Blacklist, I was confident that Spader would be great as Ultron, what I didn't expect, and what I gleamed from his brief appearance in the trailer, is how terrifying he would be. His voice and the dialogue he has meld together perfectly and I love how, even with all the CG, you can tell, even without hearing the voice, that it's James Spader.

Also want to talk about the reveals at the Marvel Event yesterday. All of the films announced sound really interesting. I'm interested to see how the Civil War storyline will be adapted in Captain America 3, and what happens in Age of Ultron to lead to the Civil War. I really like that Marvel is doing a Black Panther movie (with Chadwick Boseman being a really good choice for the part) and a Captain Marvel movie, especially since it's the Carol Danvers version (I also really like that she's not called Ms Marvel in this), with my preferred casting being Emily Blunt. I hope that the Captain Marvel movie also finds a way to incorporate Kamala Khan, the current Ms Marvel in the comics. Think about it, Marvel making a film with two female leads, one of whom is a Muslim, that will be a great message for Marvel to send out. Then there's Avengers: Infinity War, which has been split into 2 films. Since Thanos is set to be the big villain for this, I think it's a good decision to split it into 2 films. Especially since the Marvel films still have to link up the Earth set films with Guardians of the Galaxy, along with Phase 3 introducing a whole bunch of new heroes that have to be linked together, I don't think all of it can be done in one film. One question remains though, how will the MCU continue after Infinity War, the bulk of the MCU films have been tying into this one, I'm wondering what they could do to continue the series, after the main enemy has been defeated.

Anyway, after seeing the Age of Ultron trailer and all of the stuff that came out of the Marvel Event, Marvel Studios have fully confirmed their status as the top figures of comic book films and have completely blown DC out of the water (by the way, with regards to DC announcing a Wonder Woman movie, I would be excited, it it wasn't for Gal Gadot being cast as Wonder Woman since she is a terrible actress, DC needs to get good writers and a good director on board if it has any chance of working, or just get the people who made the animated Wonder Woman movie to come back). All in all, Marvel are the masters of hyping up their films and I hope the upcoming set is as good as the films they've already released.

No comments:

Post a Comment